Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Coaches Corner~Expectations


Feel free to call it mystical. You may call it spiritual. You can even call it magical if you want to. There's something to the verse in the Bible that says: Death and life are in the power of the tongue. There's another verse in the Bible that says that: We can call those things that be not, as though they were. When you consider those things, it just makes sense to speak, "Yea and amen" in every situation. It just seems to make sense that you only say those things that you want to be true. Certainly you can make fun of yourself, but do not belittle yourself or speak less than the best of yourself. Recently I had the opportunity to say something that came true. The something that I said was a good thing. I have a piece of equipment that was broken. Shall we say malfunctioning. I had no idea how to fix it so I got in touch with the manufacturer, sent them a picture of it, and told them what my challenge was. It never occurred to me that this thing would not be fixed.

I couldn't see myself not getting what I want in this instance. I always say that I get what I want. A lot of times I do. The times that I don't get what I want I simply forget those times so that I can say 100% of the time I get what I want. They told me some intervention to do to fix this equipment. I'm not that good at fixing equipment. Fixing equipment is not something that floats my boat or gets me excited. I always find a way to get equipment fixed. Here I was making a last ditch attempt to get this piece of equipment fixed. Once again, never even considering the possibility that it would not get fixed. I had one friend try to do what the manufacturer suggested and it didn't work. I had another friend try to do what the manufacturer suggested and that didn't work either. There was none of the anxiety of the past or trepidation that I've had in the past when I didn't get what I want, when things didn't work out for me. My testimony is that I always get what I want.

As an extraordinary coach that needs to be your testimony. As an extraordinary coach you expect your clients to do well. You expect to get clients. You expect your life to work. You continually expect these things. On the rare occasion that it does not happen the way you expect it to happen, then you simply forget about that. Take your mind off of it and keep your mind on what you want the results to be. Back to my story. In walks Chad Romig. Chad Romig is a real estate guy. As a real estate guy, I thought that perhaps he might have experience in fixing things since people who are in real estate have to pay attention to houses. They have skills and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. I ask him to take a look at this piece of equipment. He looked at it, eyeballed it, and thought that he could do something with it. He said that he'd have to take it home for the weekend, or that he would bring the tool that he has at home back to where we were the following Monday.

We were at a workspace. I didn't want to do without the piece of equipment all weekend, but I could have. I didn't want to keep the piece of equipment until Monday. I suggested that he takes the piece of equipment home. He then says to me that he may have the tool downstairs in his pickup truck. He wasn't sure. I said, "Don't be surprised if it's in there, because I usually get what I want". When I said that, I didn't have any idea what that was going to look like, but I know that saying things usually gets you things. Off he goes down in his truck and he brings up a tool that he thinks is going to work. The tool has an attachment to it. It looks like the attachment won't fit my piece of equipment. I suggest, "Why don't you take the attachment off and simply put the tool itself on my piece of equipment". Lo and behold it did. My piece of equipment was now functioning perfectly, it was functioning just like it did when it was new. I owe it all to Chad Romig.

Only part of the credit goes to Chad Romig, because I have the good sense to speak positive things. I want to encourage you to speak positive things. You never know what's going to happen. I never know what's going to happen. You hold out for the results that you want and most of the time if not all of the time, you get the results that you've been holding out for. As an extraordinary coach I cannot tell you how valuable it is to have a reputation for getting things done for your clients. How valuable is it to you to have your clients tell people that every goal that you set, every aim that you pursue, their extraordinary coach makes it happen for them? That's what this blog is about. This blog is about expectation. This blog is about speaking the right words. This blog is about how I was able to get my piece of equipment fixed simply by speaking the right words.

Would it have happened if I didn't speak those words? I don't know. I don't care. I can tell you that I did speak those words and that it did happen for me. I'm encouraging you to do the same thing in your extraordinary coach practice. If you have learned anything from this blog, if this blog has given you any great ideas or even given you goosebumps because it felt so good, I want to invite you to share it with someone you know. Share it with your family. Share it with your friends. As I like to end all of my blogs: Until the next time, have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment