Friday, July 10, 2015

Coaches Corner~Breakdown


Professional boxers will tell you that you can have a good plan when you go into a fight, you could decide that you're going to start with a right and you're going to finish with a left, you're going to throw an uppercut there and you're going to throw a right cross there and all of that's well and good. You are told that when you throw your left, you are leaving yourself open for the opponents right, you duck and you avoid the right. All of this strategy is great and you understand it very well when your coach is giving it to you as you, an extraordinary coach might be giving coaching tips to your business owner.
All of that changes when the boxer get stung really hard. When a boxer gets punched in the face when he is not expecting it, when he gets his mouth busted into without expecting it, when he experiences pain, a lot of pain then all the planning will go to pot. He will forget everything that he has been told. He'll forget about the right cross, he'll forget about the uppercut because now he is in pain. The greatest boxer of them all realizes that this pain is going to come and they anticipate this pain and they are able to maintain their plan, they are able to maintain their fight plan and they go on to become great winners, great victors. People like Muhammad Ali, like Sugar Ray Leonard and like Larry Homes, like George Foreman. All of this people were able to maintain their composure after getting their bell rung really hard. 
Recently, I had the opportunity to talk with a client. An actual fact, this client was also my coach in certain instances and her and I were talking about a subject that's near and dear to my heart and actually she thinks about it sometime. Many of us coaches are filled with platitudes like what you think about you bring about. The person who needs love the most often appears to deserve it the least. Platitudes like that come out of our mouth at a drop of a hat and we think that they are truth. 
We all know that it is the inside of a person that counts and not so much their outer beauty which is another platitude. In comes my business partner and she is sharing something with me that's close to my heart and although I know not to be defensive and I know that the only way to get better is to be ready for constructive criticism; When I got some constructive criticism, I wanted to fight. I forgot about all those platitudes that I speak on a regular basis. I forgot about the idea that if you want to get something that nobody else has, then you have to do something that nobody else does. It completely left my consciousness that in order for me to do incredible things in life, I have to overcome incredible obstacles because it is not going to be given to me.
I must tell you I was ready to throw in the towel.  Not only was I ready to throw in the towel, I was ready to drive over to her place and put my hands around her neck and strangle her. Have you ever felt that way? If you have never felt that way, you probably haven't encountered your greatest struggle. You probably haven't crossed the line yet to be an extraordinary coach, because when you are an extraordinary coach you take your client places where they don't necessarily want to go.
You take your clients to that deep place where they’re most uncomfortable. If your clients are sitting listening to you and agreeing with everything that you suggest to them, you better believe that you haven't gotten there yet and if you haven't gotten there yet and you are committed to being an extraordinary coach, you will get there and I'm here to tell you be ready for that bust in your mouth when it comes. Be ready for that surprising bit of pain when it comes. Know that you can endure this pain and know that on the other side of the pain you will come out a better coach and your client will be a better business person as a result.
Forget the fact that you have gotten busted in the mouth or you have experience pain because pain is a change agent. Pain is an indication of breakdown and in coaching the only breakthroughs occur on the other side of a breakdown. I hope this blog has helped you. I hope you have picked up a couple of pointers from this blog and I hope that you are moving one step closer to being an extraordinary coach. If it has helped you, I urge you share this blog with your friends, your family members and even some of your clients and by all means do come by and read this blog again and as I like to end all of my blogs, I end this one the very same way with inviting you to have a good time until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment