Monday, July 27, 2015

Coaches Corner~Conclusions



It is very important to remind yourself of who you are on a regular basis. You must repeat words to yourself that reinforce the person that you are. I was going to say that reinforce the person that you want to be but in order to be authentic with what I'm saying, I have to say repeat words that reinforce the person that you are. Inevitably, when obstacles arise, you can get thrown by them or you can overcome them. When things in your life happen that you hadn't really expected and you have to deal with them, it is these words that you have been speaking to yourself over the years that's going to make the difference.

The things that have an impact on you, when someone says them to you, are things that you have already been saying to yourself. If you have been telling yourself that you are a phenomenal coach, when someone says that you are a phenomenal coach, you'll believe that. If on the other hand you have been saying to yourself that bad things always happen to you, then when someone else says that to you, it'll resonate with what you have already said. If you say things like obstacles have stopped you, then obstacles will stop you.

The reason that I bring this up is just recently I had the opportunity to be thwarted in my desires. I was negotiating a business deal with another businessman, and it seemed that we had a deal but then later it seemed that we didn't. Our negotiations stalled when the businessperson told me that he did not want to sign a contract with me. Signing a contract happens a lot in my business and for me, contracts are always negotiable. If someone comes to me with a contract and I don't particularly care for the contract, then I say, "Can we make a change here? Can we make a change there?"

What I didn't know that I didn't know was that everyone is not accustomed to doing contracts, and contracts sometime inflict fear in the mind of the person who is about to sign the contract. The mistake that I made in the particular instance I'm talking about is my associate's refusal to sign the contract did not mean he didn't want to do business. Oh, he wanted to do business all right and I should have known that he wanted to do business because when we first met, we were extolling each other's virtues almost instantly. We saw our association as a perfect match. I was very surprised when he told me that he did not want to sign the contract.

Contracts are pretty standard and it's okay to work without a contract, and in this case I decided to work without a contract because of the type of business that we're doing, a contract is neither here nor there. Any business arrangement can be managed with a case-by-case scenario and that is exactly what he wanted, but when he told me he did not want to sign my contract, I jumped to conclusions. I assumed he did not want to work with me. I assumed that there was some reason that I didn't know about why he was telling me he didn't want to sign the contract.

Whatever the reasons were for not wanting to sign the contract, does not impact our business relationship. As an extraordinary coach, remind your clients that it is very easy to jump to conclusions and get the wrong idea. It is much more cumbersome to stop, think, listen, and make a better decision. In this case, I'm taking my own advice and I'm glad I made a return phone call to the person in question and I'm glad that we are going to do business together. We're going to do business together and as my client, if you are my client, you will reap the benefits of my association with this new-found business associate.

If this blog has helped you, then by all means pass it on to someone that you know or care about. I end all my blogs the same way I end every blog, and that is to have a good time until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment