Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Coaches Corner~Experiential


There's a couple of different strategies to becoming an extraordinary coach. There's a couple of different strategies that you can use once you become an extraordinary coach. There's most definitely a secret though, to success.

I recently attended a conference in San Francisco, and this conference was about how to grow your business. What I discovered in this conference was a wonderful little sandwich shop across the street. It was a two-day conference, and the first day of the conference on our break, I went to the sandwich shop and got a nice sandwich and liked it a lot.

The second day of the conference when I came to the hotel, what did I do? Even though I wasn't staying in the hotel I went to this very sandwich shop and got another sandwich, a different sandwich, but from the same shop. It seems this sandwich shop had become a habit. In only two days this sandwich shop became an important part of my life.

If this conference had lasted one week, there's no doubt in my mind that every morning I would have gone to that same sandwich shop and ordered me a sandwich. As an extraordinary coach, what I'm suggesting that you become someone's habit. The way to become someone's habit is to deliver something of quality, something that they enjoy, something that they want. The something that you deliver must be something that you are good at and something that's in your skillset. Something that you do effortlessly.

I'm not saying that you need to ascribe to the group that advocates people pleasing, but I am saying that you must find a way to leverage what you are good at so that it is a positive experience for someone. While not all habits are constructive, at the beginning they all are. Despite your aversion to certain habits like cigarette smoking or self destructive behavior, these behaviors do not begin because they're unpleasant, they begin because they're pleasant.

You want to begin as though you're pleasant. As an extraordinary coach you sometimes have to tell your clients things that they don't want to hear at the time, but an extraordinary coach has to find a way to have a client do things that they don't want to do so that they can become the person that they want to become. While the takeaway from this workshop was exceptional, one, unintended takeaway was to become someone's habit.

What is it that you do that people love? Make sure that every interaction with you, every experience someone has with you, is something that they want to repeat. After a while they will come to repeat it whether it feels good or not, as long as it has a good outcome for them. The longer that they practice the habit the better they are at continuing the habit. The longer that they practice the habit the better that you're going to be as an extraordinary coach to bring them the outcome that they so desire.

Make sure your desire for them and their outcome is genuine. Make sure it is authentic. The crux of this blog is, become someone's habit. Who would think that I would get such an unintended consequence from going to a sandwich shop right across the street from the hotel? As I say in all my blogs have a good time, until the next time. If this blog has helped you please, pass it on to someone you know, someone you like, or someone maybe even in your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment