Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Coaches Corner~Square



If you are a coach, whether you are extraordinary or not, you have put on events. If you haven't yet put on an event. You will put on an event. If you have not aspired to put on an extraordinary event, then you will love this blog.

An event can be a daunting task to even an average person, but if you want to be an extraordinary coach, putting on events has got to be second nature to you. Putting on events is where you will get an opportunity to get in front of the room and leverage your time and effort so that you can speak to a lot of people. As you speak to a lot of people you become an expert in the eyes of those people. Once you become an expert in the eyes of those people and you have a system in place where you follow up with those people and let them know a little bit more about who you are, how you are, or what you are, and over a prescribed period of time they decide that you are the coach for them. That is how it's supposed to work.

Putting on an event is a process that has lots of moving parts. If you haven't put one on and you don't have a professional working with you, some of those moving parts may get missed, because after all, you don't know what you don't know. What this blog is about today is how I handled one of those moving parts seemingly by osmosis. For several weeks now I had an event in the works. I'm pretty excited about this event that I have in the works. The event is going to take place less than a week after I'm doing this blog.

I had lots of things in place, had lots of people lined up to help, had a time and operation ready to do this thing. As far as paying the admission or paying the cost of coming into the event, that was another story. Believe it or not, that had escaped me until recently. No less than one day ago it occurred to me: Hey, what if everyone doesn't purchase their tickets online? What if everyone doesn't bring cash to the event? What am I going to do?

I knew that I was going to have my event and I knew I was going to find some way to get paid, because after all, what is business if you don't have a payment system? I decided that I would use a Square reader so that I can accept debit cards. I had had a Square reader but I didn't use it for so long. I just misplaced it and I didn't know where it was. Here it is a week from the event or less.

I go online to reorder my Square reader, and my Square reader is going to take ten days to get here. Oh my goodness, I don't have ten days. Then I get the idea why don't I Google how to get a Square reader, and I did. Keep in mind, the point I'm making here is how you make your decisions and fate and providence will force things to move in such a way that you will get what you want if you want it bad enough. I wanted it bad enough to be able to charge admission for my event and I wanted it bad enough that I didn't want to have people come into the event at no charge. Besides, when you get something for nothing, there's no seed planted. I had to make sure that people had a way to give me money.

I find on the internet they have these Squares available at retail locations. Imagine that. The Square that I wanted that was going to take ten days to come here I could get at a retail location, so naturally I googled and put in the zip code and found that there was a place right down the street where I could get a Square reader. Now these Square readers are pretty popular, and chances are they may have not had one. Rather than jump in my car and drive down there, I decided to make a phone call to see if they had a Square reader available, because after all, they were selling it a drugstore. Under what set of circumstances would you expect to find a Square reader at a drugstore? That's another story.

I called on the phone and asked the man if he had one. He had one left. One Square reader was left in the entire store, so I said to him, "I'll be coming down to get that right away." The reason I decided to go and get it right away is what I was alluding to when I wrote this blog when I first started. Even though there were lots of moving parts to what I wanted to do, I committed to getting it done just like I committed to being an extraordinary coach.

I committed to being an extraordinary coach and things moved, things shifted so that I had to become an extraordinary coach, just like I had to get that Square reader. Now I have the Square reader in my possession. I am ready for my event. I am ready to accept payments, and the event will be a smashing success. I'm sure by the time you read this blog, you will have known that. As I like to say at the end of all my blogs, until next time have a good time, and if this blog has helped you, if it has given you any great ideas, please by all means share it with your friend and family. Be an extraordinary coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment