Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Coaches' Corner~Evaluations





One of the best evaluative tools that you can have is the one to ten question. If you are a coach, you need an evaluative tool. Time out for living your life on automatic pilot, you have to consciously live your life and you have to consciously be paying attention, and you have to consciously be thinking about your client's business. Now back to the one to ten rule.

Any professional athletes that you run into, at game time you can ask them: "On a scale of one to ten, where are you right now in terms of your game?" They'll know. Let's take baseball, for instance. He's getting ready to go up to bat and you say to him: "On a scale of one to ten, where would you say you are right now as you're going up to bat?" He'll tell you. He'll pick a number between zero to ten and he’ll say something like seven.

To be a proactive coach on your way to being an extraordinary coach, the question for you to ask your business owner right after that is: "Okay, you're at a seven. What would it take for you to become a ten?" Because if you're going up to be able to against somebody like Carl Yastrzemski or one of those world famous baseball pitchers, of whom I don't know many because I don't know baseball, but you get the idea. If you're going against a world-class pitcher, man, you got to be a ten. You can't be trying to be a seven.

You ask your business owner what would it take for them to be a ten. In order for them to be a ten, they might tell you something that they have to feel empowered that this customer is going to say yes. They may say something like: "I need to know more about my customers so I'll know exactly all the objections that they're going to come up to. Or they may say: "I need to be confident that my marketing efforts are paying off and that I was crafting my marketing efforts to speak to my perfect customer," something along those lines.

If you are a coach, get in the practice of evaluating your own place where you are as well as your customers'. You simply ask yourself: "On a scale of one to ten, where do I find myself right now?" If you are not at a ten, then you've got some more work to do. That work that you have to do is most probably going to be inner game work. There are only three ways that you can manage improvement, and that's with your inner game, your outer game, or your action.

Your inner game really is paramount. Your inner game is really in charge of the others, because without your inner game your won't have the expectations that you are at ten on a scale of one to ten. Being an extraordinary coach dictates that you have to be there. You have to live there and you have to do it on purpose. You can't do it by accident. If you want to give your customers the best, you want to give your business owners your best, then you must institute that one to ten scale. Where are you on a scale of one to ten?

Back to the inside game. You must have thoughts such as "I win," thoughts such as "I overcome," thoughts such as "nothing can stop me." Eliminate the thoughts that "Oh lord, I hope it's not hard," or, "Oh lord, eliminate the obstacles." Eliminating the obstacles is not at all what it's about. What it's about is making you better able to negotiate the obstacles, and continually assessing your place and your customers place it's the number one way I see to put yourself in a position of winning, the number one way that I see of making yourself empowered so that you can overcome those obstacles so you can be better than you were.

Anyone that has known me for any length of time has heard me say that I am better than I was, and not as good as I am going to be, when there was someone asking me the question as to how I'm doing. Using this one to ten scale, this evaluative tool that I'm suggesting to you, it for sure will get you present to the fact that you are indeed better than you were and that you are not as good as you are going to be. As I like to end all my blogs, I with remind you to have a good time, until the next time, as you move closer and closer to being an extraordinary coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment