Monday, September 21, 2015

Coaches Corner~Inspire

It is said that our habits define us. It is also said that if you examine a man's habit, you can pretty much predict what his life is about. One habit that I want to talk about today that's peculiarly significant as an extraordinary coach is the habit of inspiring others. Do you inspire others? Are you easily inspired?

These are two critical questions for my blog today because, depending on your answer to both, that says who you are. If you are indeed an extraordinary coach, then it is your habit to inspire others. You want to inspire others to greatness. How, you may ask, do you inspire one to greatness? Well, let's take a look at that.

Greatness, as we all know, is a non-specific characteristics that given to many people. President Barack Obama is great. Martin Luther King is great. Jesus Christ is great. You are great, as am I. What makes these people great, in no small way, is the way that they control their feelings. Imagine this: someone has made you angry and you blow up at them and you tell them exactly how you feel. You do, as we say, give them a peace of your mind.

Ask yourself, who looks at that behavior, who looks at that activity and says to themself, "Oh boy, I would like to be able to do that?" Let's just say you're married and your wife wants to watch  the Bill O'Reilly show, and you want to watch the football game. You bully her, you take the remote from her, and you force her to sit with you and watch the football game whether she wants to or not. Is that inspiring? Is that something that people look at and say, "Oh my goodness, I wish I could do that"?  Inspirational activities are those that impact others to say, "Wow, I wish I could do that!"  "That was awesome!"

Let's further examine these two specific behaviors. Number one, do you need practice to do either one of them? Does either one of them go against the grain for you? Are either one of those activities helping someone else? Are either one of those activities something that you would be proud to tell your mother or your best friend that you did?

You see, these are my benchmarks for greatness. These seems simple and uncomplicated, but it is in these small ways that we demonstrate our greatness, and our greatness inspires others. As you go through your day accomplishing things or not accomplishing things, you're also having thoughts on a consistent basis. Does your thoughts included things like: who can I help today? Does your thought include things like: hmm, I wonder if I'll get caught?

You see, after a while, you begin to figure out what greatness is and what greatness isn't. Now this blog isn't about greatness; this blog is about inspiring others. You may have heard that you can tell what a person is thinking by what they do. Now if you are thinking all the good things that can happen to you, how much money you can get, is that inspiring? You're going to have to be the judge of that. I can't.

The reason I thought of this blog this morning is I found myself being selfish. You better believe there is no inspiration for anyone else for me being selfish. Selfishness only helps me. Revenge only helps me. If you are embracing those two characteristics, well they're only helping you. Let's see as an extraordinary coach if we can adopt the habit of being inspiring.

What this blog is about is that I'm giving you real world examples of what it means. In the Bible it says that he who is faithful in small things will be given greater things. The things I'm talking about seem small, but if you can be inspiring in those small ways, you can be inspiring in greater ways. We all really want to be inspiring.

I've also heard that there's no such thing as standing still. Either you're moving forward or you're moving backwards. If you have not made a conscious decision to inspire others, then you need inspiration yourself. If you are not inspiring others to great things, you're inspiring others to mediocre things. Inspiring people is a decision that you must actively make as an extraordinary coach. As an extraordinary coach, it is absolutely critical that you decide that you are going to inspire others. The most difficult thing about inspiring others is what you do the most when you're alone. What do you spend your time thinking about? What do you do when you are alone? Because it is who you are when you're alone that determines what you do.

If you are a person that spends six, seven hours a day watching television, it doesn't matter what you're watching because you're only edifying yourself. Many people have made the commitments that they love to learn. I love to learn as well, but when you learn something, just on the strength of learning it, who are you inspiring? Who are you helping? Chances are, you already know how to do something. I already know how to do something. We can be much more inspiring if we teach, because when you teach, you teach something to someone. You give them something. You give them the experience that you have when you're learning. How inspirational is that?

The key to this blog, the meat and potatoes of this blog, is that you must make a decision to be inspiring. You must actively inspire others. You must seek people to inspire, seek situations where you can inspire, or you're inspiring people to be mediocre. That's just the plain, honest truth.

I hope I've inspired you by writing this particular blog. I hope you are inspired to do great things by reading this particular blog. If you are not, someone will be inspired that I took the time to do it. If this blog has helped you, done anything for you, made you feel better, inspired you, I would love for you to pass it on to someone else. I end this blog just like I love to end all of my blogs, which is for you to have a good time until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment