Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Coaches Corner~Egomaniac

I'm often accused of being an egomaniac. I'm often accused of loving myself too much. People make these assertions based on the words that come out of my mouth and the stories I tell on a consistent basis. I am an extraordinary coach and I know it. You are an extraordinary coach whether you know it or not. You are an extraordinary human being. Coaches are who my market is, so that's why I focus on extraordinary coaches.

I assert that were I to be followed around by somebody and they were taking notes on the things I did and didn't do, they would come to the conclusion that I justifiably love myself. I love myself because not only of what I get, but I love myself because of how I feel when I inspire others. I love myself for the sort of things that I do that I characterize as loving and forgiving.

I just recently did a blog on inspire. On the very day I was driving to the office after I did that blog, I was moved to do this blog. The reason why is that I found an instance to be inspiring. I was driving along a two-lane country-like road. Traffic was minor, slow, which means that I couldn't see anyone behind me for half a mile or a mile or so. Up ahead was a fire truck on the incoming lane from where I was driving. Big fire truck it was, and it was partially blocking the lane.

Ordinary-sized cars were able to drive by, but say a vehicle about the size of the fire engine wouldn't be small enough to get by. Wouldn't you know it, directly behind the fire truck, trying to come towards me, was a huge dump truck. In fact, it could have been one of those cement trucks that mixes cement while they're driving. Back in the day we used to call them ready mix.

Now the car in front of me just drove right on by. I'm about a quarter of a mile or half a mile behind that car. I see all the cars lining up behind the dump truck. Now get a visual of what I'm saying, because the cars behind the dump truck, they would be able to go around the fire truck and go on about their business, but the huge dump truck wasn't able to do so.

I decided that I would stop way behind the line of demarcation, the line where the truck could go around the fire engine and do it safely. I stopped there for a couple seconds. I suppose the guy driving that big old dump truck was kind of astonished because he sat there momentarily and didn't move. Then he realized that there was a good Samaritan and he would be able to circumvent that ... that they were able to get around that day because the sort of traffic jam that they were experiencing, well, maybe what I did was unnecessary. Maybe behind me the road would have been clear for miles and miles, and they could have passed by unobstructed.

You know what? It doesn't matter. What matters is that I created a story. What matters is that I inspired someone. What matters is that people had a great day and I had a part of it. When you examine that behavior and when you examine that activity, it's no wonder that I spend a majority of my life thinking about how great a guy I am.

I don't spend a majority of my time talking about how great a guy I am because others will do that. But thinking of myself as a great guy actually creates situations where I have a chance to be a great guy. Whenever I have a chance to be a great guy, I take it. If this blog has helped you in any way, shape, form, or fashion, I want to encourage you to do yourself a favor and pass this blog on to someone you know who you care about. I end this blog like I end all the rest of them. You have a good time until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment