Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Coaches Corner~Coaching


With the exception of the sports industry, coaching is a fairly new industry. As such, there are benefits as well as pitfalls associated with the notion of hiring a coach. You might not even know that you need a coach even after you have tried all you know. With the greatest intentions and all the resources you believe you need, it is still possible to fail in business. You can get some insight by speaking with other successful people and that can be questionable unless they have a vested interest to see you succeed. With one’s success comes the desire to share as a natural occurrence and that may be a reason that a successful person may give you feedback that will assist you. That, my friend, is only the beginning because I learned that even in networking marketing the quintessential “help me help you” industry, you can only rely on help to a point.
I have recently hired my first coach for business and it has opened my eyes. Usually when I am talking with a person who identifies themselves as a coach, all my walls go up as I would never in my wildest dreams even consider pay someone to tell me what I am doing wrong. That is how I saw coaching. In business, a person’s “elevator pitch” identifies them as a coach so the conversation is over pretty quickly. I was recently afforded the chance to hear a coach speak uninterrupted for 30 minutes and after a few minutes, I was wondering how was I going to afford him because he was making so much sense. Since I was now open to the conversation, other coaches were attracted to my space and I learned other things.
While these men were coaches, I realized that the points made were so specific that one did not even need to be successful in business to be a coach. After all, the discussion was that if an incredible athlete like Michael Jordan had a coach, in fact, more than one, of course you or I also would need one. None of his coaches achieved the level of excellence as a player that he did and they coached him nonetheless. When you get your coach, as you undoubtedly will if you plan to be successful, choose wisely but do not make it a requirement that he must have done what you want to do in order to coach you to do it.

If this has helped you I would love feedback on how it has.  Until then do me a favor and have a good time until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment