Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Coaches Corner~Generational




Much of what we do comes from forces of which we have no control but that does not mean we cannot use sheer will to overcome some of those obstacles.  If your parents were alcoholics, then decide that alcohol is something you can live without.  Its benefits, if there are any, are not worth the chance.  You do not have to work in computers because your ancestors did and certain patterns of thoughts do not have to take you over just because it runs in your bloodline.  In fact, knowing what your family’s tendencies are gives you job 1 in many cases.  I happen to know that my family had not the sort of chutzpah that led us to make sales when funds were needed.  We tended to borrow and get deeper in debt rather than embrace the idea of giving more.  That history has helped shape the man that I am today.

All of my influences have not been as obvious and neither have yours as today’s story demonstrates.  Being a coach means getting in touch with all of you and sharing that in your marketing so that you can easily resonate with your target market.  Remember that the coaches’ creed is, “There is not good or bad, right or wrong, there is only, ‘What’s working?’ ‘What’s not working?’ and other more important paradigms to consider.  I recently sent some money to my sister via paypal and she was not able to get the money.  After some 4 weeks, she had done all she knew how to do so she called me.  I am not sure what the problem was but she did all that she was asked to do and was not able to get the money.  So today she called at her wit’s end with a request for me to simply get the money back from paypal and send it a different way.  I suggested she call paypal and speak to a supervisor and plead her case.

While she was doing that, I was at my computer some 3,000 miles away transferring a musical file which I had done numerous times in the past.  I had given it more than 5 tries and was content to say, “Forget it!”  Right about that time, I received a text from my sister saying she was “Done” with paypal after waiting on hold for more than one hour and I should get my money back.  For some reason, at that moment, I realized that she had quit and was mentally challenging her about being so quick to give up.  I admit I was not present to how much she had actually tried but it still landed for me as quitting.  Seconds after that I thought about my dilemma with the file and thought, “I cannot quit!”  “That is what my family is known for, we just quit when it becomes difficult.”  I resolved to get it done and in no time at all, I had accomplished the task.  My coach friend, Jim Padilla of Gain the Edge, and I were walking and discussing this and he introduced me to a coaches’ tool.  He rather helped me remember something and put a beneficial take on that whole experience which I am prone to do anyway.

If you are a coach listening to this story or unearthing it in a session, how can you best help your client?  You ask the question, “What else in your life are you missing because of your tendency to quit?”  And then wait for the answer.  Most likely you will hear a couple of excuses why this particular incident is different from parts of their life where they do excel and do not quit.  Do not fall for this ruse because if they quit in this part of their life, they quit in every part when the going gets tough.  I am sure Jim was not the first to say it but, “The way you do anything is the way you do everything.”  Once you get them present to that truth, the excuses stop.  You can then get them about the business of finding out “What’s missing?” and “What’s next?” in their business.  Always be on the lookout for teaching moments and remember that you are not immune to generational behaviors or ways of thinking and when you detect them, use them for your growth and your coaching skill. 
Your clients do not have your experience and using your experience to assist your clients is a major distinction of being an extraordinary business coach.  All experiences have value especially the ones we are left to only manage rather than eliminate completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment