Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Coaches' Corner~Expressives



I am an expressive personality and that means I like to have fun and often I will sacrifice anything for the sake of fun.  If I cannot think of something as fun, chances are that I won’t do it.  There are probably one-fourth of the people reading this blog who are also expressive.  As is often the case, you are probably in a relationship with someone who is not expressive and they spend lots of time urging you to grow up and be responsible.  Let me put your mind at ease and scare the Bejesus out of the person you are close to.  It will never happen.  You might make moves in that direction, you might desire to be more responsible, but you time can best be spent enjoying yourself which I am sure you are good at.  If you are a coach, believe me, there are enough clients out there just like you who will keep you busy.  For many years, I felt bad when I was criticized but since my 50th year of life, that has even dissipated.  For the next several blogs, I will spotlight the other three personality types or social styles so that those of you who are not expressive will be able to see how we see you.  You are not the pillar of strength you believe yourself to be.  You are logical as you might think you are and you certainly don’t know everything.

Many people see shiny things and follow them into oblivion sometimes and pursue them to their own detriment.  Expressives like myself, make a career of this.  People who are not expressives miss the point by telling us that we lost money, or we are wasting time and other number of reasons why we should or should not do something.  We don’t care and if it is fun or if we think it is going to be fun, we will do it.  I remember my first experience with network marketing.  At the time I was a registered nurse in a major hospital emergency room.  I was having a great time and working with a lot of women.  I always enjoyed working with women and as far as I was concerned, nothing could be better.  But I was wrong!  Standing in front of a room with a lot of people including women all dressed up and delivering a speech, was heaven.  And that is what got me involved in network marketing.  Sure, the income potential was great but I was already making money as a nurse and I would have promoted those water filters and natural products for free.  That was the shiniest thing I had seen since Amway ten years earlier and I would not let it slip through my fingers.  I saw myself making five figures per month and going to parties and dancing and selling and, whew, having the time of my life.  I had finally arrived.

Needless to say, none of that happened….but I had a grand time and would do it again even if the same thing happened.  There was nothing like that experience and the person I am today is a much better person even though I no longer work as a nurse.  Being expressive does not mean I do not think it only means that thinking is not my first choice.  As a coach, there are clients of yours who are expressive just like I am and they say they want to have a successful business.  They have no idea what any of that is.  If you want long term clients for premium fees, you must make the effort to find out if you have an expressive on your hand.  They will not call you until they have to and they won’t even do that if they find you a person interested only in numbers.  They are likely to receive your assessment as criticism and shy away from you.  They might even lie to you.  I give you this because even though I am expressive, I am a coach.  If you are a coach and need a coach who is expressive, obviously I am your man.  That is not to say that I do not coach people in the other three personality types but it is to say, that most likely you will have some fun working with me.


This blog is not an ad for hiring me as a coach.  It is designed to urge you to include personality assessment as part of your pre-coaching research.  With the amount of data about you including videos and testimonials available online, it is easy for clients to choose you based on who they see.  It is not easy for you to see the personality type prior to spending time with a client.  There are tell-tale signs though and one of them is the color red.  lol  Anyone who is wearing that color is probably an expressive but some folks are chameleons.  If you an expressive, enjoy yourself and I don’t have to tell you that and if not, stay tuned for the other personality types in succeeding blogs.  For the present, if you don’t know, get one of the well-known tools and find out which you are.  This is one of the most effective tools there is to help you along your journey to being an extraordinary business coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment