Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Coaches' Corner~Success


Absolutely nothing motivates like success.  This morning is a prime example of this phenomenon.  I only got 3 hours sleep last night and I was up working on some specific technology involving a program called Camtasia.  After installing and reinstalling the program, I finally went to bed and was quite surprised to wake as early as I did without the benefit of an alarm clock.  I dragged myself to my computer thinking of how cumbersome it would be figuring out what the glitch was and I was not too optimistic about its resolution.  I also was quite unmotivated and cross with myself for waking up so early.  The glitch awaited my intervention and I was none too happy about it.  My final attempt at correcting the problem involved system restore and those with a little savvy know what I am talking about.  My computer was restored to an earlier time before I downloaded the upgrade to Camtasia.  So at best, I was digging in for the long haul.  I could have chosen to feel different from what I did and that would be accomplished by thinking something different from what I was thinking as I have just said.  It was my decision to think what I want at any given moment and what I am thinking lead to what I am feeling and the same is true about you and your coaching clients.

Alas, the problem turned out to be solved by the system restore!  As I returned from my home office to my bedroom, I nearly clicked my heels in glee.  I no longer cared that I only got 3 hours sleep. The steps that I took to correct my problem is all but forgotten as I now could go on with my project.  The point is that our thinking is so, so critical in how our lives turn out.  In the hustle and bustle of living, we are constantly inundated with things like our family, our clients' problems, the president and so much milieu, we often get caught up in the activity and our habitual thoughts.  These thoughts do not serve us and it often lead to us blaming something other than ourselves for the state we find ourselves in.  We are usually the blame and we need only to control the way we feel by being vigilant in what thoughts we allow to inhabit our minds.  When we think of difficulties that we face and things we don't want, we do ourselves no favors and we help no one.  One of the most careful things we can do is to think of our successes because nothing motivates like success.  If you do not have a current success, think of a past success.  I am not advocating a head-in-the-sand attitude but I am saying you can always succeed if you think only of success and the things you want.  Whatever you are attempting, you are much more effective if you think of your self as a success.  And you do not actually have to DO something, you simply BE something and that something is someone better.

What you do creates the same effect as a video camera at a party does depending on its focus. Knowing nothing else except what you see on the screen controls your thoughts about what was happening at a video of the party.  Even though what you watch on the video was the only people enjoying themselves at this particular party, you can only react to the part you see on the video.  Treat your mind just like the videographer did when he or she recorded the video.  He pointed the camera exactly at what he wanted you to see and ignored everything else.  Resolve to think success all the time especially when actually in a conversation with your clients.  You do your best work when you have the background of success running in the back of your mind.  When you focus on what you like, you feel better because you think better and the world is a much better place.  My day now starts with be coming from a place of empowerment rather than the guy dragging himself around because he did not get enough sleep.  I choose what I think about and so do you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment