Friday, January 30, 2015

Coaches’ Corner~Oops



Even a person like myself who coaches can be saddled with the shortfalls associated with buying his own story.  Keep in mind that the story I am referring to is the “likely story” that we all tell ourselves that explain away our misgivings, failures and excuses for not  having what we say we want in our lives.  Recently, I was made aware of a story involving Marshawn Lynch, a professional football player who was reluctant to be interviewed before the greatest sports event this year, the LXVIV Super Bowl.  He took the position of repeating the same phrase over and over, “I’m just here because I don’t want to get fined…I’m just here because I don’t want to get fined.”  This translated as something unacceptable to me and because of my predisposition, I was very quick to criticize him.  There was no consideration of the motivation that made him do it and there was no sympathy.  My story had guided me and took me to a place that did not serve me at all. It turns out that there was a good reason for his actions and mostly it was his own story.

What about the reporters who consistently asked him questions after it was clear he was not going to answer them?  What about his skill as a public speaker being in question?  There is a number of things that could have been responsible for his behavior and only one thing responsible for my criticism and that was my story.  Have you considered that your story may be impacting how you see things?  While you are looking at others and passing judgement, have you even thought that you are the one passing judgment?  As a coach it is critical to remember that it is your job to bring an outside objective opinion to your clients’ situation and that means you must always give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  When you cease giving the benefit of the doubt, you set up a chance for your client’s expectation to deteriorate.  A determinant of one’s result that is often ignored is their expectation.  In an odd sort of a way, falling prey to judging based on your own story hurts your client way more than it even helps you.  Certainly you can be more considerate when you learn more about any situation, I generally prefer to habitually give the benefit of the doubt primarily because it helps me elevate my expectations.  To make it a little clear, consider the following story.

As Jane sat on the train, she noticed this man seemingly sitting catatonic while three or four children ran around the train car seeming as though they were on a playground.  The man just sat there and did nothing!  Jane had taken all she could and had begun justifying her indignation in her own mind.  She remembers how strict her parents were and she was thinking that there is no way she and her siblings would get away with such behavior.  She clearly knew that these children had no home training.  When she could take it no more, she blurted out to the man, “Sir, why don’t you teach your kids more manners.  Don’t you know there are people on this train they are bothering?”  The man apologetically stated that he was sorry.  They had just left the hospital where their mother just died and, “I was in deep thought planning the funeral and I guess the children are dealing with it the best they can,” he said.  At that point Jane felt so bad, she got off the train at that very stop even though it was not her stop. 

Everyone has a story and in that story, they are usually fighting a battle of some kind.  Make your story one of helping others and your being sufficient for all your own needs.  Make your story the one where you show up wherever you are in love and eliminate the judgment.  You will be a much more effective coach as a result and that leads to a better business for you and moves you further along your journey to being an extraordinary coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment