Friday, January 23, 2015

Coaches' Corner~Forgiveness




Whatever kind of coach you are, business is an important part of it, especially if you are a business coach.  Anything having to do with business is of concern to you and this blog might be a bit of a surprise.  I recently read a blog by a friend, Professor Rosalind Henderson on forgiveness.  She extolled the virtue of forgiveness in one’s business life and I got the gist of it very quickly because I am a forgiveness expert.  I have forgiven some of the cruelest things and not because I am all that but because I aspire to be all that.  It is absolutely impossible to achieve greatness without deciding to forgive all.  And if you have not been hurt, count yourself very fortunate.  I responded to her post and made sure she knew that I stood right beside her in endorsing forgiveness as a lifestyle.  Lest you think that the person you are forgiving is getting away with something, perish the thought because you are only hurting yourself when you choose not to forgive.

In his book, ONE WAY LOVE, Tullian Tchividjian tells an interesting story involving Robert Downey, Jr. and Mel Gibson.  It seems that Mr. Downey was given some sort of award in the movie industry after he spent years hurting a lot of people and avoiding the downward spiral that was his life.  He did drugs, failed miserably as an actor and was a general ne’er do well.  By many accounts, his career was over.  Even when actors or actresses wanted to work with him and when directors and producers did not, insurance companies would not insure any movie that he was in.  As a condition of accepting this award, it was his privilege to choose the person who would present the award to him and he chose Mel Gibson.  This occurred after Downey had finally hit it big in the blockbuster movie know as IronMan.   If you remember during that time, Mel Gibson had had a series of mess-ups all his own.  He had a messy divorce, drunken episodes while driving and even had a tirade of racial epithets insulting Jews and Blacks.  In short, Robert Downey, Jr. had come out of his misery and Mel was just starting his plummet into oblivion for actors.  Many wondered what had got into Downey by having this bum give him the award.  Here is what they didn’t and couldn’t know as Downey gave his acceptance speech for the award after it was presented by Mel Gibson:

            Actually, I asked Mel to present this award to me for a reason, because when I couldn’t get sober, he told me not to give up hope, and he urged me to find my faith—didn’t have to be his or anyone else’s as long as it was rooted in forgiveness.  And I couldn’t get hired, so he cast me in the lead of a movie that was actually developed for him.  And he kept a roof over my head, and he kept food on the table.  And most importantly, he said that if I accepted responsibility for my wrongdoings, and if I embraced that part of my soul that was ugly—“hugging the cactus” long enough, I’d become a man of some humility and that my life would take on new meaning.  And I did and it worked.  All he asked in return was that someday I help the next guy in some small way.  It’s reasonable to assume that at the time he didn’t imagine the next guy would be him.  Or that someday was tonight.
            So anyway, on this special occasion…I humbly ask that you join me—unless you are completely without sin (in which case you picked the wrong…industry)—in forgiving my friend his trespasses, offering him the same clean slate you have me, and allowing him to continue his great and ongoing contribution to our collective art without shame.  He’s hugged the cactus long enough.  At that point, the two men hug.


Our clients may not be movie stars but their troubles are just as real.  When we don’t forgive in our own lives, it is that much easier to add to the list of people we don’t forgive.  We can sometimes have a client that reminds us of someone we have not forgiven and become ineffective as far as that client is concerned.  After reading this blog, it should ring in your mind that the saying, “What goes around, comes around” is more than adequate to describe what happened to Mel and Robert.  But even moreso I want you to embrace the fact that you might not always be as well put together as you are now so do me a favor, show a little love…er forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment