Monday, March 2, 2015

Coaches Corner~Paypal




As a coach, you must be careful to guard your expectations in every case.  This is true even if you are not coaching or talking to a client.  Coaching is one of the disciplines that you are always doing and thinking of things this way improves your life as well as anyone you come in contact with.  I have just had a very rewarding interaction with paypal technical support and I was very pleasantly surprised.  In the past, I clearly remember having difficulty with paypal and other businesses when I called their technical support.  I must admit I was a different person then and my results showed that.  I have figuratively been standing up screaming into the phone in an effort to get what I want and all to no avail.  It began before I even had the problem because my mindset dictated that I would have problems, unsolvable problems, difficult problems because that is what I was a clearing for.

I had transferred money into my paypal account for my own personal reasons.  Paypal had encouraged me to remove a certain product from my shopping card because it violated their guidelines for sales.  I understood what they wanted and was willing to comply and simply did not do it by their specified time.  I reasoned that if I did not sell any of the product, all would be well.  I did this despite the fact that they told me the specific steps to take to rectify the situation.  I would have simply stopped selling the product or arranged to get payment some other way but that is another story.  Paypal was having none of that as they froze my money and told me it would stay frozen until and unless I did what I was told.  Needless to say, I did what I was told by the end of the day.  After I read the email saying my funds were frozen, I immediately did what was asked but by then, I had gotten caught up in the bureaucracy and it was not as simple as flipping a switch to get access to my funds.  I then went to work in making things happen.
While I was going through the motions, it never crossed my mind that I would not get what I wanted.  In previous times, I would have felt the anxiety in my chest, I would have had sweaty palms, I would have told all my friends how I was being victimized.  I remember these things because as a coach of coaches, I am all about equipping you to help your clients who are having these same dilemmas every day.  I knew I would get my way.  When it didn’t happen after the first call, I made another all the while soft-pedaling it all the way to victory.  After a mere five phone calls, the situation was rectified.

Many do not realize how true it is that we get what we expect.  Even if it is not true, don’t you feel better when you are not stressed?  And stress is simply fear in disguise.  The opposite of faith is fear and we as leaders and purveyors of progress have not use for anything but faith as a means to our goals.  If we sell ourselves well enough, even when we don’t get what we want, it will seem as a stepping stone to something better.  It does not take any practice at all to allow our transient feeling to take over but with practice, we can and do seem to dictate our awesome result.  Some look at this as arrogance and none of us want to shoulder criticism of any kind but would you rather be successful or not?  Adhering to standards of behavior created by your critics only force them to think of something else to criticize you for.  Read only encouraging media, spend time with uplifting people and keep in mind that these folks are different for all of us.  Decide who we are, I say, then be who we are and surround ourselves with like-minded people.  We only need tie critics to prove to us that we mean what we say we mean.

All in all, I am excited about this outcome as I am about nearly all my outcomes and if it is not true for you, keep trying.  The closer you get to being there, the closer you get to being that extraordinary coach that you long to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment